On revising… and revising… and revising

Nov 04

So, I may have gotten a little ambitious. Back when I revealed the superamazingfantasticawesome cover for Terra, I started talking about how my book would likely be ready for released in mid-November. Weeeell, it’s officially early November now, and that’s not looking likely. Not that I’m complaining, of course. I’ve said from the beginning that I want to do this RIGHT, and I will take as much time as I need to do so. That said, I will admit now that I got just a little too excited.

Dude. Revising is hard.

I complained a lot that writing is hard, back when I was just finishing the actual writing of my first draft, but I will say hands-down that editing is much harder. I’m very lucky that I have a couple of highly skilled friends who are helping me, but it’s still tough-going. However! I can now say that I am proudly finished with my first round of edits! So, my first draft has officially become my second draft, and that is pretty exciting stuff. There’s still quite a bit of copyediting to do, with the additions and changes I’ve made, but when I talk about revisions I’m talking about bigger stuff than comma splices and appropriate US AP style (which, I have learned, I know basically nothing about, hahaha).

I haven’t made any HUGE story changes, but I’ve done a lot of tightening up of the storyline, and flushed out a few things. The word count as it stands now is a little over 73,000 (although at one point during the editing process it went down to 69,000, haha). I think that an early December release may still be a possibility, but I’m not going to get too wrapped up in the timeline right now. My biggest thing is to continue making sure this book is as strong and well-written as possible. Unlike the rest of my life’s endeavors, which I readily admit have been predominantly half-assed, I am taking this book very seriously. I mean, let’s be honest. As a self-publisher, I kind of have to. There are already too many things working against me not to put in 150%.

So! That’s just my little update for right now. While I’ve been working on edits, I’ve also been boning up on my XHTML coding skillz (read: learning how to code from scratch) so that I can properly convert the manuscript into eBook format when the time comes. I’ve also been planning out the interior layout of the trade paperback, and am planning on blogging about both those things in detail soon.

The to-do list is still long, but I’m whittling it down one thing at a time. Now I just have to make sure to keep my enthusiasm in check… urk. I’m just so anxious to get Terra out there for you all to read!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *